Acquaintance rape is a prevalent problem on college campuses today. Statistics about rape among college students are alarming:
- Acquaintance rape is more common than left-handedness, view heart attacks or alcoholism.
- Women age 16 to 24 are the most likely victims.
- 1 in 4 of college women have been victims of rape or attempted rape.
- Approximately 90% knew their attacker.
- Almost 1/3 of sexual assault victims suffer from rape trauma syndrome at some point. Symptoms may include depression, look suicidal thoughts or attempts, and drug/alcohol abuse.
One Night is an original play about rape among friends. In the course of being entertained, audience members will have an opportunity to consider common misconceptions about rape. The program also covers: legal, medical and community options available to rape victims; how drugs and alcohol are often used to increase vulnerability; risk-reduction techniques and ways to support victims and work to end rape.